As we head into a season of potentially destructive wild weather, it’s important to make sure that you’re protecting your property and valuable possessions.
To begin with, you should have an emergency kit that includes a battery-operated radio to listen to warnings and emergency services advice, a reliable torch and spare batteries, canned food, can opener, water, first-aid kit and blankets.
Below are some simple tips to help you prepare for wild weather.
Storms and cyclones
- Clean leaves from gutters, roofs and downpipes regularly, and fit quality metal leaf guards. Clogged gutters can send water flowing into your home during heavy rain.
- Have your roof checked for damaged or loose tiles and sheeting. A roof in good repair is more likely to withstand high winds and keep water out.
- Remove or secure loose items around the garden that could become projectiles during high winds.
- Know where and how to switch off your water, electricity and gas.
- Have plastic bags, masking tape and plastic sheeting on hand, should you need them for emergency sandbags or to make temporary repairs.
- Mow your grass regularly, both in the front and back yards.
- Keep your backyard tidy, free from any build-up of flammable material.
- Trim overgrown tree branches and low lying branches two metres from the ground surrounding your home. Do not attempt to trim trees near power lines.
- On Total Fire Ban days obey regulations regarding barbecues and open fires.
- Make sure that if there is a fire hydrant outside your home it is easily located and not obstructed.
- Make sure you understand the flood risk to your area by checking with your local council about flood plans or records that detail problem areas.
- Learn about your local emergency plan, evacuation routes and emergency centres.
- Make a family communications plan and keep a list of emergency numbers near the phone.
- Place important personal documents, valuables and vital medical supplies into a waterproof case in an accessible location.
More wild weather preparation information can be found on your local State Emergency Service website.
Despite the risk of wild weather every summer in Australia, many householders do not have any building and contents insurance, and many others do not have sufficient cover to rebuild their home or replace the contents.
Make sure your home, car and valuable possessions are protected with us this summer against Australia’s wild weather.
In arranging this insurance, National Seniors Australia Ltd ABN 89 050 523 003 AR 282736 acts for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708. We do not provide advice on this insurance based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Ask us for more details before we provide you with any services on this product. Before making a decision please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and the Supplementary PDS available by calling National Seniors on 1300 50 50 99 or from this website.